Saturday, October 29, 2011

Breathe in, Breathe out!

The newest member of our family arrived yesterday afternoon, my very own c-pap machine. It's the same kind that I used during the sleep study which is awesome because it barely makes any noise and I was worried that it might be loud and therefore affect not only my sleep but Paul's as well. The gentlemen that delivered it showed me how to hook it up with and without the vaporizer part, where all the plugs and hoses go, etc., he also hit on me (I was flattered). I stood there staring at this thing and burst out laughing (home alone) thinking I can't believe I'm gonna sleep in this contraption, Paul will roll over and be terrified!
We spent the evening watching the Rangers lose the World Series with Sam & Amber (my brother and sister-in-law) and I got to see my nephew, Banner truly laugh for the first time (amazing sound). When we got home I hooked up the machine and put on the mask as Paul started to fall asleep. I think I was thinking about it too much because I just couldn't get comfortable and the idea is to sleep with your mouth closed so when I'd yawn or breathe thru my mouth it almost fills you with too much air. I know I didn't give it enough time but removed it after about 20 minutes. I'll give it a try again but I just have too much on my mind and attempting to fall asleep is hard enough for me that added discomfort just wasn't in my plan for a Friday night.
I have 2 remaining visits with the dietitian and then everything will be submitted to my insurance for what I pray is the fastest approval ever. I'm so scared that they are going to drag their feet and push it into the first of the year. All of these sleep studies, the c-pap machine, the psych visit, etc. have pushed my out-of-pocket closer to the max and that means I'd end up paying even less for the surgery which is ideal; if I have to wait until the new year I won't have anything towards my deductible, etc. Trying to stay positive and hope that it'll get approved quickly so that I can have surgery the end of this year!!! Exciting and nerve wracking -- not good on my tummy!!!
I may or may not try to sleep with the machine again tonight, ideally I guess it makes sense to try and get accustomed to the change during the weekend but that's when I want to try it the least. At least the main purpose which is for the surgeon to know the oxygen intake I'll need during recovery is met and I can decided whether to use this $1200 machine or make it a conversation piece at home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment