Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sleep Study -- Take 2!!!

I just received the dreaded call, "remember when you first scheduled your sleep study we had you schedule 2 appointments, just in case, well...your results came back and during a 1 hour (60 minute) time period you stopped breathing for a period of 10 seconds or more 56.3 times, we'll need you to come in for that second appointment!"


56.3 times?!?!?! I'm not good at math but my handy calculator tells me that 1 hour = 60 minutes = 3600 seconds, so I am not breathing at least 10 seconds of every minute?!?!?! I don't even know how to comprehend this! I know that this 100% explains why I am literally exhausted the majority of every day, why I barely sleep at night, etc. In a lot of ways it justifies my exhaustion, at least in my mind. Of course it says that sleep apnea can be caused by many factors, some being sleep aids which I take because I can't sleep and I can't sleep because of the apnea -- vicious circle huh????

So, what's next you ask?? (yes, you're asking yourself that!)...

Friday night I will go once again to the awkward bedroom in the office building, have the bomb squad on duty once again hook me up from head to toe, but this special Friday night they will add a mask (I may walk around pretending to be Darth Vader) called a c-pap machine that will keep continuous air pressure going in and keep my throat from essentially "falling asleep" which causes snoring and apnea. You can Google Sleep Apnea for a much more educated version of all of this!!!

According to the surgeon's office though, this diagnosis is a plus for insurance approval!!! There's also a huge chance that after surgery and weight loss the apnea will go away as well!!!


Maybe, if you're lucky, I'll post another picture after this week's adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment